Before you decide to put your home on the market, take some time to look at your home through the eyes of a potential buyer. Broken doorbell? Leaky faucet? Carpet stains? Fix it! At this stage, your #1 goal is to create a great first impression. Buyers often place a lot of emphasis on a property's presentation.
They are concerned with making, what may be, the biggest purchase decision of their lives. As a result, they want everything to be, or at least, look perfect. Freshen up the interior and exterior of your home before putting it on the market. You want your home to be seen at its best. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend a lot of money to make this happen. Small improvements to your home could greatly increase the perceived value of your property so that you can attract buyers and get your home sold. Here are some things you can do to improve the look of your home and create a great first impression:
- Mow and water the lawn.
- Remove weeds and trim shrubs.
- Remove dead tree limbs and other yard debris.
- Plant fresh flowers or shrubs in the garden or in pots.
- Remove clutter from the front porch and walkway.
- Keep your driveway and sidewalk clear.
- De-clutter the garage and shed.
- Touch up paint on doors, siding and trim.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clean outside windows and repair torn screens.
- Ensure outside lights and doorbell work.
- Remove leaves and shovel snow when necessary.
- Clear hall, stairs and closets of clutter.
- Remove excess shoes, bags and clothes from foyer.
- Clean stains and dust from ceilings, walls and trim.
- Remove and store excess furniture.
- Remove personal photos, paintings and souvenirs.
- Clean fridge, stove, microwave and kitchen cabinets (inside and out).
- Remove clutter from kitchen counter and stove tops.
- Shampoo and vacuum carpets and polish floors.
- Clean, repair or replace drapes and window blinds.
- Tighten door knobs, latches, towel racks and electrical outlet covers.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint or touch up where necessary.
- Fix tight doors and windows, loose stair banisters and squeaky floorboards.
- Clean, freshen and remove clutter from bathrooms.
- Repair leaky taps and toilets and remove water stains.
- Clean and repair caulking around shower, bathtub and sinks.
- Clean, freshen and remove clutter from bedrooms.
- Oil squeaky doors.
- Replace defective light fixtures and change burnt out light bulbs.
- Tidy or hide excess wires from small appliances.
- Clean and organize the basement and attic.
CREATE A BUYING MOOD
- Arrange furniture to make rooms appear as spacious as possible.
- Make sure lights are turned on.
- Make sure air conditioner/heater is turned on.
- Open drapes, curtains or window blinds
- Make sure your home smells fresh and clean.